Value Village is a part of the Savers family of stores. We are a for-profit, global thrift retailer offering great quality, gently used clothing, accessories and household goods. Our Rethink Reuse business model of purchasing, reselling and recycling gives communities a smart way to shop and keeps more than 700 million pounds of used goods from landfills each year. We also help more than 100 nonprofit organizations by purchasing donated goods from them, which provides a source of revenue to help support their vital community programs and services.
We operate over 300 locations. Our brands are Value Village (in Canada and the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec), Savers (in the U.S), Unique (in the U.S.) and Savers Australia.
Accountable to ensure the equipment in the Warehouse such as conveyor belts, balers, distribution chutes, forklifts, crates, strapping machines, etc., is kept clean and in good repair. Directs and supervises the work of designated team members. The Maintenance Supervisor is guided by the Savers Vision and Core Values. Reports to the Warehouse Logistics Manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to read and write.
- Courteous, with good communication skills in both verbal and written forms.
- Ability to observe, assess and coach the work of others.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- Mechanically inclined and hands on. Not afraid to ‘get their hands dirty’.
- Computer skills: Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Excel.
- Highly proficient in the use of various tools, test equipment, and service information.
- May be required to obtain specific certification(s) at the Company’s expense, as needed.
Essential Job Functions:
- On occasion, leverages and oversees designated team members to perform repair, trouble-shooting and daily maintenance tasks. Delegates the workload to clear jams, wipe sensors, and deep clean every afternoon.
- Regularly observes, interacts, trains, and coaches team members. Provides recognition and candid feedback about performance and behaviors. Communicates performance observations to manager.
- Role models and maintains a respectful, values-driven workplace that adheres to all Savers’ Policies and Procedures.
- Supports warehouse operations as acting Team Manager Warehouse when assigned.
Daily Maintenance & Tracking:
- Conducts daily inspections and prioritizes findings as necessary.
- Identifies and documents any components that show early wear in and coordinates with appropriate vendors for replacement.
- Performs all required daily maintenance tasks prescribed by manufacturer such as lubrication, cleaning, and other key points as outlined in the service literature.
- Performs minor repairs as assigned by the department manager and/or manufacturer.
- Performs routine maintenance on forklifts (including batteries) and scales as needed. Reloads wire into balers.
- Regularly inspects and replaces lightbulbs, stair treads, overpass traction tape, and safety tape on the facility floor.
- Completes and retains logs of all performed equipment maintenance, whether completed internally or by outside vendor. Completes daily log and checklist of maintenance duties each shift.
Coordination with Outside Vendors:
- Coordinate with outside vendors to complete maintenance or repair events where manufacturer-certified technicians are required.
- Uses the company work order system (FM Pilot) to initiate work orders. Meets with the technician/vendor when they arrive onsite at the facility and briefs them on the issue. May coordinate some or all these activities with the facility administration manager.
Repairs and Troubleshooting:
- Assesses all machinery failures and malfunctions.
- Diagnoses and makes emergency repairs on machinery as needed and if authorized to do so, including clearing jams, cleaning sensors, cleaning parts, etc.
- Rapidly escalates more significant issues to the appropriate party to minimize equipment shutdowns during operating hours.
- Coordinates repairs when an outside specialist is required.
- Inspects pallets and shipping crates for integrity issues (particularly the hinges and latches) and repairs as needed.
- Emergencies may require work to be completed outside normal operating hours.
Janitorial and Other Facility Maintenance Tasks:
- Sweeping/washing of the floor, cleaning of washrooms and break room. Completes sweep sheets. High touch cleaning of specific areas where high traffic exists. Shovels snow as needed and salts entrances.
- May be asked to complete small repairs in the facility itself such as changing light bulbs, touching up paint, tightening screws, etc., but most repairs will be completed by outside vendors.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by a manager. This can include assisting another Team Member in a different area of the facility. Occasional operation of a forklift. Able to operate all equipment in the building as needed to test repairs. May occasionally be asked to perform general maintenance tasks at store locations.
Safety & Loss Prevention:
- Maintains a safe work environment through education, consistent follow up, ensuring policies and procedures are in adherence, and supporting the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
- Protects company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security, and integrity.
- Proactively promotes loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place.
- Communicates safety and loss prevention issues to manager.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- High School diploma at minimum.
- Trade or mechanical certification preferred.
- Results-driven industrial supervisory experience (external candidates).
- Must possess/obtain a forklift trainer certificate.
- May be required to obtain specific certification(s) at the Company’s expense, as needed
Physical Requirements and Equipment Used:
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs. Rarely pushing and pulling of carts and other conveyance weighing 50 to 250 pounds using 4 – 10 lbs. of force.
- Occasional reaching out in various levels/directions to inspect/handle equipment, perform maintenance and janitorial tasks, train/coach/counsel other team members.
- Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding, writing on documents/forms, equipment inspection.
- Continuous standing, frequent walking and stair climbing, stooping, bending, grasping with hands, and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to handle &/or inspect equipment, perform maintenance and janitorial tasks, train/coach/counsel other team members.
- Occasionally required to read written & electronic documents.
- Continuously exposed to hazardous machinery (compactor, baler, forklift, conveyors, robots), solvents (cleaners, detergents), radiation (Microwave in break room), continuously exposed to dust and frequently exposed to temperature fluctuations.
What you can expect:
A commitment to protecting the health and safety of our Team Members. Great benefits, paid training, career development, bonus opportunities, a competitive wage, and a 50% Team Member discount. Our Team is a great one, made up of people from many different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, all with something special to contribute. You’ll positively impact Team Members, Customers, Donors, Your Community, and the Environment.
Savers is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify Company.