Who we are:
Savers Value Village™ is a for-profit global retailer that has become a neighborhood home to millions of thrifters across the U.S., Canada and Australia. We got our start nearly 70 years ago with a commitment to reuse, and today, our mission is to champion reuse and inspire a future where shopping secondhand is second nature. We acquire the secondhand merchandise we sell in our stores from our non-profit partners, providing them with critical funding to support their missions. Over the last 5 years, we have paid our non-profit partners more than $615 million for gently-used, secondhand items dropped off at our stores. As a leader in reuse, we diverted nearly 600 million pounds of goods from landfills last year alone, extending the life of those reusable items.
We are also committed to recognizing the uniqueness of each of our team members and customers and to building a community where everyone can feel welcome. We care about your whole health and well-being.
The Store Manager (SM) is responsible for the overall management and direction of the store and team in accordance with all policies, procedures, regulations and laws. The SM ensures that financial results of the store, including sales, on-site donations, expenses and profits, meet or exceed target. The SM takes pride in ownership, knowing everything he/she does has a specific purpose that links to business results. The SM achieves results through his or her management team, as well as by working side-by-side, hands-on, with the broader store team. The SM role-models expected behavior and continually observes, assesses, trains, coaches and counsels performance.
Minimum Required Education, Training and Experience:
- High School diploma. Post- Secondary degree/diploma preferred.
- 3+ years of results-driven retail store management or industrial management experience
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure store performance meets targets in sales, profit, on-site donations, production, and productivity based on annual performance expectations for the store. Analyze key metrics and information, tie findings to observations and take appropriate action. Inspect sales floor for shop-ability and ensure productivity of merchandise.
- Lead, direct and supervise the work of the management team and through them to entire team. Oversee Production Manager and Retail Sales Manager in proactively planning staffing needs, recruiting, selecting and training team members. Regularly observe, assess, interact, coach and counsel the team. Provide oversight for the work schedules to meet and exceed both customer and donor expectations.
- Audit merchandise and prices rolled to and off the floor. Plan and implement seasonal back stock, merchandising and other strategic programs. Ensure the Savers recycling program is fully leveraged to reduce landfill and allow for further reuse of unsold/un-saleable items.
- Execute all company standards in the Community Donation Center (CDC), Donation Drive Fundraiser (DDF) and Get to Give programs. Oversee efforts inside and outside the store to create community awareness of the CDC, the company brand and the benefits of donating to Savers. Develop partnerships with local organizations that are seeking cash fundraising opportunities and with local nonprofit organizations (e.g. schools, shelters) that may benefit from free receipt of merchandise that the store would otherwise recycle.
- Customer/Donor Service: Deliver a positive and unforgettable customer/donor experience by setting the example for, as well as training and coaching, customer and donor service expectations, working with all members of management to ensure execution.
- Loss Prevention and Safety: Protect company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security and integrity. Proactively promote loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place. Maintain a safe work environment through education, consistent follow up, ensuring policies and procedures are in place, and supporting the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry products weighing less than 5 lbs. Will occasionally need to lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs. Occasional pushing and pulling of racks/carts weighing 50 to 250 pounds using 4 – 10 lbs. of force.
- Continuous standing, frequent walking, stooping, bending and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to handle &/or inspect merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team, assist customers.
- Some exposure to hazardous machinery, solvents (cleaners, detergents), continuously exposed to dust and frequently exposed to temperature fluctuations.
- Will need to adjust work schedule to the needs of the business, including working some nights, weekends, holidays.
Travel: 5% Travel time required. May sometimes be required to drive to the bank to make deposits and will periodically need to drive to meetings or other stores for business purposes.
Value Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with a disability taking part in the interview and selection process.