Maintenance Hand, CPC
Who we are:
As one of the largest for-profit thrift operators in the United States, Canada and Australia for value priced pre-owned clothing, accessories and household goods, our mission is to champion reuse and inspire a future where secondhand is second nature. We supply our stores with gently used one-of-a-kind items that have been donated by the community to local nonprofit organizations. We purchase these items directly from our nonprofit partners, redirecting billions of pounds of used items away from landfills and on to our store racks and shelves for reuse, and providing our partners with valuable funding for their community-based programs and services. You’ll often hear us say that we are “Thrift Proud.” It’s the millions of loyal customers who visit our 300+ stores and our more than 22,000 team members that make it possible. Learn more about the Savers® family of thrift stores, our impact, and the #ThriftProud movement at savers.com.
Our brands are Savers (in the U.S.), 2nd Ave (in the U.S.), Value Village (in the U.S. and Canada), Unique (in the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec) and Savers Australia.
What you can expect:
- The opportunity to celebrate uniqueness. We are made up of people from many different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, all with something special to contribute.
- To work in a purpose-driven company, with a business model that people love for our impact on both the planet and local communities.
- An investment in the career path interests of our people. With our aggressive store expansion plans, we recognize the importance of the continued growth and development of our team members.
What you get:
Comprehensive onboarding and training from day one.
In-house expertise! Our training department / Savers University develops and delivers robust training to every team member across our organization — from new hires to senior executives. We develop around 90% of our training internally, and partner with a variety of renowned providers to supplement our offerings.
Benefits offerings including:
- Bundled health plans such as medical, Rx, dental and vision.
- Company-paid life insurance for extra protection and peace of mind
- Programs to stop smoking, diabetes management coaching, and on demand care options.
- A RRSP with generous company matching contributions to assist you in saving for a secure financial future.
- Paid time off from work for leisure or other hobbies.
- A range of mental health services to assist you in managing daily life.
What you’ll be working on:
Assist the Maintenance Supervisor to ensure the equipment in the Central Processing Centre (CPC) such as conveyor belts, balers, distribution chutes, forklifts, crates, strapping machines, etc., is kept clean and in good repair.
Daily Maintenance & Tracking
- Conducts daily inspections and prioritizes findings as necessary.
- As directed by the Maintenance Supervisor conducts daily inspections and prioritizes findings as necessary, performs all required daily maintenance tasks prescribed by manufacturer such as lubrication, cleaning, and other key points as outlined in the service literature.
- Performs minor repairs as assigned by the department manager and/or manufacturer.
- Performs routine maintenance on forklifts (including batteries) and scales as needed.
- Reloads wire into balers. Regularly inspects and replaces lightbulbs, stair treads, overpass traction tape, and safety tape on the facility floor.
- Other maintenance and regular janitorial duties will be required. Identifies any components that show early wear and reports it to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- As directed by the Maintenance Supervisor completes and retains logs of all performed equipment maintenance, whether completed internally or by outside vendor. Completes daily log and checklist of maintenance duties each shift.
Repairs and Troubleshooting
- Assesses all machinery failures and malfunctions.
- Diagnoses and makes emergency repairs on machinery as needed and if authorized to do so, including clearing jams, cleaning sensors, cleaning parts, etc.
- Rapidly escalates more significant issues to the appropriate party to minimize equipment shutdowns during operating hours.
- Inspects pallets and shipping crates for integrity issues (particularly the hinges and latches), and repairs as needed. Emergencies may require work to be completed outside normal operating hours.
Janitorial and Other Facility Maintenance Tasks
- Sweeping/washing of the floor, and occasional cleaning of washrooms and break room. High touch cleaning of specific areas where high traffic exists. Shovels snow as needed and salts entrances.
- May be asked to complete small repairs in the facility itself such as changing light bulbs, touching up paint, tightening screws, etc., but most repairs will be completed by outside vendors.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the General Manager. This can include assisting another Team Member in a different area of the facility. Occasional operation of a forklift. Able to operate all equipment in the building as needed to test repairs.
Safety & Loss Prevention
- Maintains a safe work environment through education, consistent follow up, ensuring policies and procedures are in adherence, and supporting the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
- Protects company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security, and integrity.
- Proactively promotes loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place.
- Communicates safety and loss prevention issues to the General Manager
What you have:
- Ability to read and write.
- Courteous, with good communication skills in both verbal and written forms
- Ability to observe, assess and coach the work of others.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- Mechanically inclined and hands on. Not afraid to ‘get their hands dirty’.
- Computer skills: Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Excel.
- Highly proficient in the use of various tools, test equipment, and service information.
- May be required to obtain specific certification(s) at the Company’s expense, as needed.
- Frequent written communication is required to and from other managers via the use of apps and or text messaging.
- Forklift training certification
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Minimum Required Education, Training and Experience:
- High School diploma: post-Secondary degree/diploma preferred.
- Trade or mechanical certification preferred.
- Sound knowledge of industry-specific equipment.
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs. Rarely pushing and pulling of carts and other conveyance weighing 50 to 250 pounds using 4 – 10 lbs. of force.
- Continuous reaching out in various levels/directions to inspect/handle equipment, perform maintenance and janitorial tasks, train/coach/counsel other team members.
- Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding, writing on documents/forms, equipment inspection.
- Continuous standing, frequent walking and stair climbing, stooping, bending, grasping with hands, and twisting and frequent kneeling needed to handle &/or inspect equipment, perform maintenance and janitorial tasks, train/coach/counsel other team members.
- Occasionally required to read written & electronic documents.
- Continuously exposed to hazardous machinery (compactor, baler, forklift, conveyors, robots), solvents (cleaners, detergents), radiation (Microwave in break room), continuously exposed to dust and frequently exposed to temperature fluctuations.
- Able and willing to safely, cautiously, and efficiently navigate work environment that may include large industrial machinery, heavy equipment and product, elevated and uneven surfaces, and heights, and moving forklifts.
- • Comprehensive extended health care plans for full-time Team Members
• Company-Paid Life and AD&D Insurance
• A Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) with a generous company matching provision to assist you in saving for a secure financial future
• Paid time off from work for leisure or other hobbies
• A range of mental health services to assist you in managing daily life
Travel: Will periodically need to drive to meetings or other stores for business purposes.
Location: 600 Barlow Square SE #140, Calgary, AB T2C 5T7
Value Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with a disability taking part in the interview and selection process.