Job Title: Custodian
Who we are:
As one of the largest for-profit thrift operators in the United States, Canada and Australia for value priced pre-owned clothing, accessories and household goods, our mission is to champion reuse and inspire a future where secondhand is second nature. We supply our stores with gently-used, one-of-a-kind items that have been donated by the community to local nonprofit organizations. We purchase these items directly from our nonprofit partners, redirecting billions of pounds of used items away from landfills and on to our store racks and shelves for reuse, and providing our partners with valuable funding for their community-based programs and services. You’ll often hear us say that we are “Thrift Proud.” It’s the millions of loyal customers who visit our 300+ stores and our more than 22,000 team members that make it possible. Learn more about the Savers® family of thrift stores, our impact, and the #ThriftProud movement at savers.com.
Our brands are Savers (in the U.S.), 2nd Ave (in the U.S.), Value Village (in the U.S. and Canada), Unique (in the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec) and Savers Australia.
The purpose of this position is to maintain the cleanliness and sanitation of the inside and outside of the building and ensuring that all spaces are prepared for customers. As needed, actively engage customers using the Five Elements of the Customer Experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Building a Culture of Customer Service: Provides customers with friendly, helpful and efficient service in every interaction. Friendly: Smile, make eye contact and greet when customer comes close. Helpful: Obtain assistance if a customer indicates the need. Efficient: Keep shopper conversations short in order to return to tasks.
- Internal and External Store Cleanliness and Sanitation: Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of sales floor, cash register bays, break rooms, bathrooms, trash areas and store front. This will include but not be limited to sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, emptying trash, cleaning high touch areas, windows and mirrors and refilling paper products, soaps and cleaners.
- Workstation: Maintains cleanliness and organization of the workstation for safety and efficiency. Follows guidelines for cleaning and common spaces throughout the shift and at the end of the shift. Notify manager of inventory of cleaning supplies.
- Meeting Targets: Regularly completes duties and additional projects as assigned by manager. Meets with manager to review results, successes and opportunities.
- Loss Prevention: Follows loss prevention procedures, including but not limited to reporting internal or external theft to a manager.
- Safety: Follows standards in place to protect Team Members, shoppers, and donors to provide a safe environment to work and shop in. This includes but is not limited to, picking up loose items on the floor, cleaning up breakages or spills, cleaning and disinfecting to required standards, and following product safety guidelines. Takes responsibility for reporting any hazard or injury to a manager. Wears personal protective equipment following the PPE guidelines for this position.
- Other: Other tasks as assigned by manager. This can include working in, and/or assisting another Team Member in, a different area of the store, or specific tasks such as general recovery, customer service, cleaning (including cleaning bathrooms), etc.
Management Responsibilities: None
Mandatory Traits and Requirements:
- Ability to read and write.
- Customer service skills requiring courtesy and good communication skills.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances.
- Knowledge of use and safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components.
- The Custodian position must be 18 years or older (US only).
Educational Skills: Ability to perform basic math calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, averages and measurements) at the level normally required in high school.
Physical Skills Required:
- Lifting and carrying 50 lbs.
- Reaching overhead 30% of time
- Pushing and pulling 50% of time
- Standing 100% of time
- Bending and crouching 50% of time
- Repetitive use of hands 30% of time
- Grasping items with hands 50% of time
- Continuous exposure to dust.
- Exposure to temperature fluctuations periodically.
- Flexible with scheduling changes due to store needs and sales events.
- May require overtime from time to time due to store needs.
- Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
Job Type: Full-time
Comprehensive onboarding and training from day one.
In-house expertise! Our training department / Savers University develops and delivers robust training to every team member across our organization — from new hires to senior executives. We develop around 90% of our training internally, and partner with a variety of renowned providers to supplement our offerings.
Comprehensive extended health care plans for full-time Team Members
Company-Paid Life and AD&D Insurance
A Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) with a generous company matching provision to assist you in saving for a secure financial future
Paid time off from work for leisure or other hobbies
A range of mental health services to assist you in managing daily life