Job Title: Production Manager
Who we are:
As one of the largest for-profit thrift operators in the United States, Canada and Australia for value priced pre-owned clothing, accessories and household goods, our mission is to champion reuse and inspire a future where secondhand is second nature. We supply our stores with gently-used, one-of-a-kind items that have been donated by the community to local nonprofit organizations. We purchase these items directly from our nonprofit partners, redirecting billions of pounds of used items away from landfills and on to our store racks and shelves for reuse, and providing our partners with valuable funding for their community-based programs and services. You’ll often hear us say that we are “Thrift Proud.” It’s the millions of loyal customers who visit our 300+ stores and our more than 22,000 team members that make it possible. Learn more about the Savers® family of thrift stores, our impact, and the #ThriftProud movement at savers.com.
Our brands are Savers (in the U.S.), 2nd Ave (in the U.S.), Value Village (in the U.S. and Canada), Unique (in the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec) and Savers Australia.
What you can expect:
- The opportunity to celebrate uniqueness. We are made up of people from many different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, all with something special to contribute.
- To work in a purpose-driven company, with a business model that people love for our impact on both the planet and local communities.
- An investment in the career path interests of our people. With our aggressive store expansion plans, we recognize the importance of the continued growth and development of our team members.
What you get:
Comprehensive onboarding and training from day one.
In-house expertise! Our training department / Savers University develops and delivers robust training to every team member across our organization — from new hires to senior executives. We develop around 90% of our training internally, and partner with a variety of renowned providers to supplement our offerings.
Benefits offerings including:
- Comprehensive extended health care plans for full-time Team Members
- Company-Paid Life and AD&D Insurance
- A Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) with a generous company matching provision to assist you in saving for a secure financial future.
- Paid time off from work for leisure or other hobbies
- A range of mental health services to assist you in managing daily life.
What you’ll be working on:
Responsible for the overall management and direction of the production process, along with leadership of the team, in accordance with all policies, procedures, regulations and laws. The Production Manager has direct responsibility for specific departments spanning both the production room and the sales floor. Ensure the store puts out the right items at the right price and at the right time through accurate pricing, shop-able racks, full merchandise utilization, seasonal backstock, efficient workflow and productive work pace. The Production Manager’s supervision takes the form of quality control checking and side-by-side involvement in the work to observe, assess, coach, and counsel performance, as well as to set the pace of work. The Production Manager is guided by the Savers vision and Core Values.
- Ensure store performance meets financial targets and key metrics based on annual and quarterly operating plan(s).
- Continually monitor and set the pace of work.
- Understand company objectives, local market potential and have the ability to analyze and act on key metrics, observation and information.
- Inspect sales floor for shop-ability and ensure a positive customer/donor experience at all points of interaction.
- Prioritize and direct team member activity.
Leadership and Development
- Lead, direct and supervise the work of supervisor(s) and production team members.
- Plan staffing needs and coordinate recruitment, selection and training.
- Regularly observe, assess, interact, coach and counsel supervisors and team members.
- Identify and develop high potential supervisors and team members through on-the-job, guided work.
- Maintain a respectful values-driven workplace.
- Use open communication tools and convert team member input into meaningful action. Address complaints and resolve issues consistent with our values, policies and procedures. Provide recognition and candid feedback.
- Fulfill manager on duty responsibilities and oversee the entire store as acting manager in-charge when assigned.
- Receive and respond to customer/donor questions, requests and complaints.
- Deliver a positive and unforgettable customer/donor experience by setting the example for, as well as training and coaching, customer/donor service expectations to team members.
- Actively engage with the customer/donor by seeking first hand feedback to make improvements to all aspects of the shopping and donor experience.
- Implement the set-up of sales and marketing promotions & programs when required.
- Assist donors per Company standards.
- Manage item put out condition & volume, production margin, spread of put-out prices and seasonal back stock.
- Ensure all sellable items are available to the customer.
- Plan, schedule, assign and direct work of the team, making adjustments as needed, to achieve sales, service, production, labor efficiency, and profit objectives.
- Manage production workflow efficiencies, standards and organization.
- Oversee quality control checks throughout all production stages: during production, prior to rolling, on the floor and at recycle off the floor.
- Lead the morning maintenance program to ensure sales floor is ready for business each morning; capture and leverage learnings.
- Partner with the Community Donation Manager/Retail Sales Manager to manage OSD flow and process.
- Ensure accuracy of daily stock-on-hand (SOH) and merchandise supply requirements.
- Ensure the Savers recycling program is fully leveraged to reduce landfill and allow for further reuse of unsold/un-saleable items.
Loss Prevention and Safety
- Protect company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security and integrity.
- Proactively promote loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place.
- Maintain a safe work environment through education, consistent follow up, ensuring policies and procedures are in place, and supporting the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
- Oversee certification process for Big Joe, baler and Lock-Out/Tag Out (LOTO).
In the absence of the Store Manager, oversees the store and team in accordance with all policies, procedures, regulations, and laws. This includes implementing and administering company programs, policies, and procedures. Makes decisions and takes reasonable action in the absence of the Store Manager. Performs any other task, function or responsibility as instructed by their immediate supervisor and/or superior manager of the Company.
What you have:
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to communicate well in both verbal and written forms.
- Ability to observe, assess and coach the work of others.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written and/or verbal form.
- Ability to reason, make decisions, and use independent judgment in various situations.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications.
Minimum Required Education, Training and Experience:
- High School diploma: post-Secondary degree/diploma preferred.
- Results-driven retail store management, or industrial management experience.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry products weighing less than 5 lbs. Will occasionally need to lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs. Occasional pushing and pulling of racks/carts weighing 50 to 250 pounds using 4 – 10 lbs. of force.
- Frequent reaching out in various levels/directions to inspect/handle merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
- Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding, writing on documents/forms, merchandise & pricing inspection.
- Continuous standing, frequent walking, stooping, bending, and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to handle &/or inspect merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
- Frequently required to read written & electronic documents and product labels.
- Continuous need to hear and verbally communicate in order to interact with and respond to management, team members and customers. Will need to hear requests in person and via intercom and telephone.
- Will occasionally be exposed to hazardous machinery (compactor, baler, Big Joe), solvents (cleaners, detergents), radiation (Microwave in break room), continuously exposed to dust and frequently exposed to temperature fluctuations.
- Will need to adjust work schedule to the needs of the business, including working some nights, weekends, holidays.
- Able and willing to safely, cautiously, and efficiently navigate work environment that may include large industrial machinery, heavy equipment and product, elevated and uneven surfaces, and heights, and moving forklifts.
- Frequent reaching to various levels and directions to move/stack boxes of product, move product on and off hangers, rails and carts and stock product on display racks/shelves.
- Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding and merchandise ticketing/movement activities.
- Continuous standing, frequent walking, stooping, bending and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to stack and/or stock product(s) on display racks.
Travel: Will periodically need to drive to meetings or other stores for business purposes.