Team Manager Sorting
Who we are:
Value Village is a part of the Savers family of stores. We are a for-profit, global thrift retailer offering great quality, gently used clothing, accessories and household goods. Our Rethink Reuse business model of purchasing, reselling and recycling gives communities a smart way to shop and keeps more than 700 million pounds of used goods from landfills each year. We also help more than 100 nonprofit organizations by purchasing donated goods from them, which provides a source of revenue to help support their vital community programs and services.
We operate over 300 locations. Our brands are Value Village (in Canada and the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec), Savers (in the U.S), Unique (in the U.S.) and Savers Australia.
Accountable for the oversight of the day-to-day pre-sort and sorting processes within the warehouse. Directs and supervises the work of departmental production team members. The Team Manager Sorting is guided by the Savers Vision and Core Values. Reports to the Sorting Operations Manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Mathematical skills.
- Ability to communicate well in both verbal and written forms.
- Ability to observe, assess and coach the work of others.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written and/or verbal form.
- Ability to reason, make decisions, and use independent judgment in various situations.
Essential Job Functions:
Consistent Sorting Performance:
- Supervises the pre-sort and sorting workflow techniques, efficiencies, standards, and productive work pace ensuring all items are sellable and routed/re-routed correctly.
- Conducts quality control checks to ensure the accurate sortation of items based upon Company standards for categorization, quality, and condition. Course corrects as required.
- Works productively, side-by-side with team members, though hands-on involvement with pre-sorting and sorting, role modeling proper techniques and pace of work.
- Informs Sorting Operations Manager of merchandise supply requirements and merchandise quality issues.
- Communicates seasonal and holiday backstock requirements to sorters and ensures execution.
- Ensures the Savers recycling program is fully leveraged to reduce landfill and allow for further reuse of un-saleable items. Oversees the appropriate and efficient management of residual inventory, including recycling and waste categorization of product deemed not sellable.
- Informs the Sorting Operations Manager if machinery/equipment is not in good working order.
- Informs team members of operating plan targets, work assignments and progress against targets.
- Regularly observes, interacts, trains, and coaches the grading team members. Provides recognition and candid feedback about performance and behaviors. Communicates performance observations to manager.
- Assists in the development of high potential team members for supervisory positions through on-the-job, guided work.
- Role models and maintains a respectful, values-driven workplace that adheres to all Savers’ Policies and Procedures.
- Oversees the Sorting Department as acting Sorting Operations Manager in-charge when assigned.
Safety & Loss Prevention:
- Maintains a safe work environment through education, consistent follow up, ensuring policies and procedures are in adherence, and supporting the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
- Protects company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security, and integrity.
- Proactively promotes loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place.
- Communicates safety and loss prevention issues to manager.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- High School diploma: Post-Secondary degree/diploma preferred.
- Experience in Savers production environment, managing the functions of sorting/grading/pricing.
- Results-driven industrial supervisory experience (external candidates).
- Sound knowledge of industry-specific equipment.
- Must possess/obtain a forklift trainer certificate.
Physical Requirements and Equipment Used:
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry products weighing less than 5 lbs. Will occasionally need to lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs. Occasional pushing and pulling of carts and other conveyance weighing 50 to 250 pounds using 4 – 10 lbs. of force.
- Frequent reaching out in various levels/directions to inspect/handle merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
- Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding, writing on documents/forms, merchandise & pricing inspection.
- Continuous standing, frequent walking and stair climbing, stooping, bending, and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to handle &/or inspect merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
- Frequently required to read written & electronic documents and product labels.
- Continuously exposed to hazardous machinery (compactor, baler, forklift, conveyors, robots), solvents (cleaners, detergents), radiation (Microwave in break room), continuously exposed to dust and frequently exposed to temperature fluctuations.
What you can expect:
A commitment to protecting the health and safety of our Team Members. Great benefits, paid training, career development, bonus opportunities, a competitive wage, and a 50% Team Member discount. Our Team is a great one, made up of people from many different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, all with something special to contribute. You’ll positively impact Team Members, Customers, Donors, Your Community, and the Environment.
Savers is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify Company.
Vancouver Warehouse - 27338 60 Ave, Aldergrove, BC, V4W 0B8